of the Universidad del Salvador
Society of Jesus, that founded the first Argentine University
in the city of Cordoba in 1622, creates the Superior Institute
of Philosophy in the seat of the Colegio del Salvador (primary
and secondary levels). This Institute is the nearest precedent
for the Universidad del Salvador.
the year 1955, by Decree N° 6403, the National Executive authorises
the establishment of Private Universities and the following
year, on May 2nd., the Foundation Act of the "University
Faculties of El Salvador" is signed.
May 15th, 1958 the name is changed by "University Institutes
of El Salvador" which are acknowledged as Private University
with the name of "Universidad del Salvador" on December
8th, 1959, by the Decree N° 16.365.
to the Decree N° 132/73, the requirement of the "Final
Tests of Professional Training" is abolished for the
Universidad del Salvador, thus the graduated students obtain
directly the nationally valid academic degree.
its foundations, the University depended on the Society of
Jesus who appointed its highest authorities through the Civil
Association Universidad del Salvador.
In March 1975, the Society entrusted the management to a group
of lay-people who took on the responsibility of keeping the
identity of the Universidad del Salvador in meeting their
goals and aims.